As-Salamu Alaikum Dear Parents of our terrific middle schoolers !
Welcome to the new school year at Al Iman School. My name is Iyad Muhsen and I am the certified MS and HS Math teacher and I teach 6th Grade Math, and CC Math I in 2016-2017 school year. This is my first year at Al-Iman School and I am very excited to meet you and share this year together enlightening our minds in math. It is important that we have a classroom community where everyone can learn and meet their potential. We will work and learn together like a family. Therefore, kindness and respect are very essential to understand others, even if we do not always agree.
School Rules Class Rules
1. Be the best Muslim you can be 1. Come into class with a smile
2. Be respectful 2. Show ALWAYS your work
3. Be a good listener 3. Do math work in pencil only
4. Be prompt 4. Use pen for correction
5. Be prepared 5. Try hard never give up
Every day each student is expected to
- have his or her math folder, calculator, pencil, and a red, or blue pen only for correcting. No gel pens are allowed for correcting or homework.
do math work in pencil only.
- be in his/her seat when the class starts, with their folder open doing the day’s five-minute activity, along with his or her homework ready to be corrected, sitting quietly taking notes, and raising his/her hand to participate in the class discussion.
Class Grading Weight
35 % Test or Project
25% Class Work
|Letter Grade||Grades 6th – 7th – 8th|
|A – Outstanding||90-100%|
|B – Above average||80-89%|
|C – Satisfactory||79-70%|
|D – Less than Satisfactory||69-60%|
|F or U – Unsatisfactory||59-0%|
|I – Incomplete|
How Students are graded
Test/Priojects: Tests will be worth 100 points and will be given after we have done the review at the end of the chapter. Parents have to sign them and return them the next day. Each quarter a project will be assigned to groups.
Students who did not do well on a chapter test have the opportunity to re-take their test. The student must schedule the time with me at least two days prior to the retake exam. Test must be signed by the parent before a retake is made available.
NO RE-TEST WILL BE ALLOWED FIVE DAYS PRIOR TO THE END OF THE QUARTER.
Folders: Students will organize a folder for each unit. They will gain both Classwork and Homework grades at the end of each unit.
· Homework will be assigned Monday – Friday. Yes, that means you will have homework on the weekends.
- Projects will be discussed and assigned at least one month prior to due date. (One project per quarter)
- I will check all homework at the beginning of the period. All assigned work must be completed, in your folder, and on your desk at the beginning of class.
- I will come by your desk once. If your homework is not on your desk at that time, it will be marked late. x
- Once I have reviewed the answers, late work will be annotated accordingly.
- I will accept late assignments on projects up to five days after the due date. Students lose a letter grade for each day the assignment is late.
- Students will not be allowed to turn in bulk work at the end of the term.
Work must be shown and homework is to be done in pencil. Failure to do so will result in me asking the student to redo the assignment.
Quiz: Students will be given two or four short five to ten point quizzes for each chapter. Quizzes will usually cover the past concepts of the module we are working on during the week.
Attendance: Each student is expected to quietly enter the room on time with all of their materials. If a student is absent, he/she is responsible for assignments, tests, or quizzes. The responsibility for making up missing work lies solely with the student.
I look forward to working with you during the school year and am excited about the success we can have in the 2016– 2017 school year. If you participate by taking notes, studying, asking questions you will do very good and enjoy learning math. I encourage communication between school and home. Please feel free to contact me by email or phone. You may leave me a message at the school’s main office or email me. I will get back to you in 24 hours.
Working together as a team, we can make this your best year ever!